Law firm advertising is changing.
Gone are the days where print ads, billboards, and referrals keep the phones ringing.
Traditional methods are quickly losing steam to a marketplace that demands highly targeted, measurable marketing.
As technology continues to push the edge of what is possible, competition for clients has become fierce.
Leaving the question: How can law firms take advantage of paradigm shifts in an increasingly saturated market?
Law firm advertising is evolving
There are a lot of law firm marketing ideas out there, and even more law firm advertising companies pushing them.
But marketers who are treating law firms like any of their other clients are draining ad spends without real results.
While SEO gurus and digital experts limit themselves to keywords in a desperate climb to the first-page, they fail to realize underutilized breakthroughs that are dominating the legal field.
However, hyper-local, measurable advancements bring a nondisruptive value to law firms and their clients that we can’t ignore.
That’s why we’ve compiled 10 of the best-underutilized law firm advertising ideas guaranteed to propel your practice forward.
If you still have questions when you finish, reach out to our law firm advertising agency, we’d love to help you out and send you our free media kit.
10 Underutilized law firm advertising ideas to dominate your next campaign.
1. Connected TV advertising and OTT marketing
If you’ve ever felt that local television advertising was too expensive, not targeted enough, or simply out of reach, then this is your answer.
Each year, more cable customers ‘cut the cord’ in favor of more affordable a la carte entertainment options.
Viewers are increasingly using connected TV (CTV) devices like Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, and YouTube to subscribe to enormous libraries of over-the-top (OTT) content (Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more).
The shift has done more than affect the relevance of TV viewership. Because CTV and OTT stream from the internet, advertisers gain new access to a highly measurable and highly targeted means.
Here’s why it works for law firms:
- CTV complements your local digital marketing
- Your law firm can target audiences on a granular level based on location, demographics, behavior, and interest.
- You only pay for ads that reach your ideal audience, saving your ad budget for your most qualified leads.
- CTV ads run half the length of traditional TV ads, ideal for keeping viewer attention.
- Unlike YouTube ads, audiences can’t skip your ads after 5 seconds.
- CTV allows you to measure your ad performance, make real-time changes, and track conversion rate.
How much does it cost?
Connected TV prices will range for law firm advertisers based on ad types as well as the OTT channel or CTV device your ad is served on. Prices generally range from $19.80 to $28.30 cost-per-thousand (CPM).
Tip: Did you know that you can serve CTV and OTT ads programmatically? Contact Moblyft, a lawfirm marketing company, and law firm advertising agency, to learn more.
2. Geofencing advertising
If the idea of location-based law firm advertising gets you excited, wait until you hear about geofencing advertising.
The idea is pretty simple.
Let’s say we are looking at the local hospital on a map (geo). We then draw a virtual circle around that hospital (the fence).
Now, every person that enters the hospital through your virtual fence – known as radius targeting – will trigger your law firm’s ad on their smartphone, which can continue to serve for up to 30 days.
Sounds pretty incredible, right?
Geofencing ads and Factual advertising make sense for a lot of law firms, including divorce, criminal, and personal injury lawyers.
Here’s how law firms benefit from mobile geofencing:
- Personal injury law firm advertising can target body shops, collision repair centers, or those visiting the hospital.
- Criminal attorney advertising can target police stations and local jails.
- DUI lawyers can serve their ads to those at popular bars and pubs.
- Divorce attorney advertising can target individuals at counseling centers and therapist offices.
- You can even target anyone that walks into your competitor’s office!
If your firm needs a way to maximize your ad spending, geofencing is your best bet.
Location-based targeting mobile is especially convenient for solo practices, who need assurance that leads produced by their ads will likely hire them.
How much does it cost?
Like most means of advertising, geofencing cost is also tracked by CPM. So, how much you spend is going to depend on how many people enter your virtual location.
At Moblyft, we work with our small law firm marketing clients to pinpoint only the locations that will be the most beneficial to their practice. Other factors that will go into price include the type of ad you want to place and how many geofences you need.
That said, we like to see geo-fencing costs between $15 – $17 CPM range, but some advertisers go as high as $25 CPM.
3. Geotargeting advertising
Geotargeting is similar to Factual geofencing, but it takes law firm advertising a step further.
In addition to advertising law firms based on location, geotargeting campaigns can target based on demographics + location.
Law firms with a niche market over a large area benefit most from geotargeting. For example, an entire city, rather than radius targeting a neighborhood.
To get the most out of this strategy, law firms will want to narrowly define the types of consumers they need in a wider geographic net.
For example, if you are a law firm that specializes in representing men in custody or divorce proceedings in your city, you may want to target married men in a specific age bracket and income.
Some of these criteria include:
The choice between geotargeting and geofencing ads will largely rely on whether your law firm relies on a specific demographic, or if they would rather all calls from a narrowly defined geographic location.
How much does it cost?
Similar to geofencing, geotargeting costs will vary on the type of ads you want to serve, how often you want to serve them, the size of your targeted location, how many different campaigns you’d like to run, and other individual criteria of your potential clients.
Tip: Did you know that an experienced law firm marketing association can pair geotargeting and Factual advertising with your other campaigns? Contact our law firm advertising experts at Moblyft to learn more.
4. Proximity marketing
Are you tired of hearing about local mobile law firm marketing yet? I hope not, because this one is the coolest yet.
Proximity marketing is location-based marketing on a much more granular form, relying on the placement of a physical beacon.
Rather than targeting whole cities, neighborhoods, or an address, you might target someone, let’s say anywhere from 0 to 300 meters from the beacon’s location.
The idea behind proximity is that it is more personalized and contextually relevant.
So, instead of targeting an entire hospital, law firms targeting personal injury marketing can place a beacon near the emergency room. Criminal attorneys can place a beacon at the court house’s public parking lot.
You can even place one directly outside of your firm to target the people walking by or at the entrance of the building you share to target all those who frequent your area.
Other uses of proximity can be used for data collection to help support your other campaigns.
For example, if you are not sure what demographics you need to be targeting, strategically placed proximity beacons can help you learn more about your clients, both current and potential.
How much does proximity cost?
The cost of proximity marketing for legal firms is going to vary significantly on what you plan to use the proximity beacon for.
Here are some of the questions a law firm advertising agency or law firm marketing company will ask:
- What type of proximity marketing are you interested in?
- Does your law firm have a mobile application?
- How many beacons do you want to use?
- Are you going to provide an indoor location?
- Would you like to retarget customers after they walk away?
- Do you need to collect data about your customers?
- Where do you want your beacon located?
Do you want more law firm marketing ideas? Read 25 Law Firm Marketing Strategies Guaranteed to Grow Your Practice.
Tip: Contact Moblyft to learn more about location-based targeting mobile, our proximity mapping tool, and Factual geofencing accuracy.
5. Native advertising
You’ve probably experienced native advertising and not even realized it!
That’s right; native advertising is law firm digital marketing in stealth mode.
Native ads are paid advertisements that are hidden within quality content. Ideally, this content gets shared far and wide across the web.
Readers are generally unaware of these ads because they match the look and feel of the web page in which they appear.
Native advertising comes in many forms, including:
- “In-Feed” – These ads appear in the news feeds of your favorite social networks (think Twitter and Facebook).
- Content Recommendations – This comes in the form of recommended content within other related articles.
- Search & Promoted Listings – These are the ad listings that appear right at the top of your Google search result. They do say “ads,” but they blend in with your results feed, many never notice. Stealthy, right?
- Sponsored Post – This refers to the contribution of your original content on another site.
Here’s an example of sponsored native advertising on the publication Forbes:
To an unsuspecting eye, this is just another Forbes article. The only indication that this is a sponsored post is a small, light gray “paid program” at the top of the page.
The idea behind native advertising for law firms is to showcase your firm’s name and quality content to potential clients in a way that feels organic.
Here’s how your firm can benefit:
- Leverage your firm’s ability to tie legal and social issues together while citing case law.
- The subtlety of your advertising provides material that is genuinely useful to consumers.
- It also provides proof that you’re an exceptional choice as a legal representative in their area.
- Native advertising increases purchase intent more than banner ads by 18 percent.
- Native ads foster brand loyalty in 32% of site visitors, compared to only 23% of banner ads.
- Consumers view native ads 53% more often than display ads.
So, not only do native ads allow you to target viewers in a way that is entirely seamless to their experience, but you can also ensure that your ads serve to your ideal audience, when and where you choose, in the format you want.
How much does it cost?
The cost of an ad campaign from a top-tier publishing company is more than $54,000. Time magazine, for example, charges up to $200,000 for a single native ad placement.
Lower-tier publications are much more in line with law firm marketing budgets. The most affordable native ad placements are trending less than $100 per ad.
6. Online video advertising
Everyone knows that there are a lot of lawyers advertising on TV, but law firm video marketing and advertising online is a relatively untapped marketing
We’ll put it this way; if you had the option, would you rather watch a video or read an article?
Most of your clients would say, video.
Let’s look at some of the statistics.
According to Cisco, video is likely to make up more than 80% of online traffic in the next two years. Unsurprisingly, YouTube is the second-largest search engine in the world right now.
Law firms have a lot of options when it comes to video advertising for lawyers online.
Here are some of the most popular:
- YouTube advertising
- The Google Display Network
- Facebook video advertising
- PandoraRadio video advertising
- Instagram video advertising
- And the list goes on!
The most significant benefit to law firms is that paid video ads are highly targeted and tracked. This means that it’s simple to launch a local digital marketing campaign based on location, demographics, behaviors, interests, and more.
Paid video ads aren’t the only option for law firm advertisers. Video is also relatively untapped in regards to law firm web marketing.
Here’s how your practice can leverage sight and sound in your law firm marketing strategy:
- Answer common questions with educational content.
- Create meaningful testimonials and case studies.
- Establish credibility by offering expert opinion on a vlog.
- Add visual interest to your SEO-friendly content marketing with animation.
- Make a personal connection by introducing your team and office tour.
- Support your authoritative law firm backlinking strategy and keywords when you post your law firm marketing video on other sites.
How much does it cost?
The cost of video advertising for law firms depends entirely on what you plan to do with your video.
If you plan to market your video without paid ad placement, for example, you will only pay the cost of creating your video. Your law firm’s paid ads, on the other hand, often take on a bid format.
To give you an idea, advertising on YouTube will run you an average CPM of $7.50. Video ads on Pandora Radio, on the other hand, will cost $15-25. The price difference is likely contributed to the non-skippable nature of Pandora ads.
Tip: Consumers want quality content. To build your credibility and trust with potential clients, work with a law firm agency (like Moblyft) that can help you strategize your law firm marketing video around your messaging, campaign, and related offers.
Learn more with 10 Benefits of Online Video Marketing Your Brand Needs Now.
7. Digital audio advertising (your law firm’s secret weapon).
There are a lot of touchpoints available for law firms in today’s technical landscape.
Thanks to programmatic, law firm marketers have gained an array of opportunities to engage with prospects in a way that is relevant to their daily activities.
But, there’s another marketing channel on the rise that helps law firms fill gaps in the client journey while delivering an immersive, emotive resonance – digital audio.
There’s no doubt that digital audio has the exceptional power to shape lasting emotional connections with consumers. Law firm audio advertising presents an opportunity to connect with people in a way that is contextually relevant and authentic.
New technology makes law firm audio advertising more effective than it has ever been before; it’s not a surprise that more law firms are looking to add it to their omnichannel campaign.
Here’s how your law firm can benefit:
- Digital is making audio advertising precise, relevant, and easy to scale.
- Audio advertising has the power to tie your law firm to the songs and shows your consumers love.
- Programmatic buying tools are only scratching the surface on what audio advertising is capable of.
- Users listen to audio in a distraction-free environment meaning that your ad will get their undivided attention.
Radio advertising’s claim to fame may be the #1 place listeners discover new music. However, digital audio advertising has proven to shift perceptions and drive sales rates that make even the most successful marketers jealous.
Studies show that advertisers on terrestrial radio only received $6 more in sales for every $1 spent. Spotify, on the other hand, reports that its ads drive 60% greater recall than the benchmark of over 1,600 online campaigns.
It’s not surprising, as digital audio advertising fits right into our theme of highly targeted and measurable advertising options for lawyers.
The story is the same in podcast advertising, an industry expected to surpass $1 billion in the next two years.
Publishers can connect brands with listeners by leveraging the audience they have created.
A recent study by IAB and Edison Research reveals that podcast listeners are more likely to take direct action in response to hearing an ad during their favorite podcasts. Of those studied:
- 45% visit a website
- 42% consider a new service or product
- 37% gather further information about the product
Podcast advertising with programmatic may still be in its early stages, but plenty of legal-related inventory is available and growing tremendously every year.
Look for podcasts in your city and – if you can – find a channel that pairs well with what your law firm has to offer. Better yet – have your law firm start a podcast for your local niche!
How much does it cost?
Again, law firm audio advertising for lawyers is going to vary based on the platform and choice of ads.
For example, take these two types of law firm audio advertising. Advertising on Pandora Radio will cost you anywhere from $8-12, with rates being lower on mobile. Law firm radio advertising, on the other hand, is not highly targetable or measurable, yet it costs between $12-$16 CPM.
Whether or not you pair your law firm’s audio advertisement with accompanying visual or video on Pandora will also affect the price.
Tip: Are you interested in programmatic audio advertising for law firms? Contact our law firm advertising agency, Moblyft, to learn more.
8. Search engine marketing (SEM)
Don’t worry; we didn’t misspell “search engine optimization”!
While a lot of green marketers like to group the two, law firm SEO and SEM are in two different ballparks.
SEM is short for search engine marketing. SearchEngineLand defines SEM as:
“The process of gaining website traffic by purchasing ads on search engines.”
Basically, SEM focuses entirely on your law firm’s paid search methods to drive sales and conversions to your website.
SEM is also sometimes called:
- Pay-per-click (PPC)
- Paid search ads
- Paid Advertising
SEM is an excellent option for law firms who haven’t yet achieved the longer-term organic strategy of law firm SEO to reach the first page.
The benefits of SEM for law firms include:
- The ability to find motivated buyers easily.
- Achieve native first page results in search engines.
- There’s no need to wait for SEO while you grow your firm.
- SEM is recommended for highly competitive niches like law firms.
- The ability to target based on location and demographics.
- Set maximum cost per click to pay only what you feel your leads are worth.
- Highly measurable insights allow you to make tweaks to your campaigns in real-time.
How much does it cost?
Law firm SEM with Google depends entirely on your budget, maximum bid, and keywords. It’s a good idea to play around with your bid to see when/how often your ads serve.
For the best results, partner with a law firm advertising agency like Moblyft, to optimize your campaign with your firm’s SEO strategy and messaging.
9. Display advertising
Display advertising is another paid search method.
However, advertising with the Google Display Network focuses on serving your ads on a variety of partnered websites, rather than search engines.
One of our favorite benefits of display law firm advertising is the fact that it encompasses a wide range of media, including text ads, display ads, and video ads.
Keep in mind that where SEM’s purpose is to drive traffic to your website, display advertising is excellent for building brand awareness. Therefore, it isn’t as useful for driving sales and conversions.
Here’s how your law firm can benefit:
- Remarket your law firm’s site visitors. Also known as retargeting, this feature allows you to show ads to people who interact with your law firm’s website or mobile apps when they are most engaged.
- Target audiences that have shown interest in law services. Audience targeting allows you to reach out to people based on their interest in services similar to those offered at your law firm.
- Reach out to an audience based on demographics. Demographic targeting allows you to reach out to or exclude audiences in specific categories such as gender and age range.
- Choose where and when you want your ads shown. If you decide on display law firm advertising with the Google Display Network, you can choose where you want to show your ads to potential clients, including websites, search engines, YouTube, and Gmail. Other options for your law firm are to work directly with other platforms that offer visual or display advertising – like Pandora Radio.
How much does it cost?
You can price display ads in one of two ways. Cost per click bidding (CPC) means that you will be charged based on the highest bid for each click on your ads.
CPM, or cost per thousand views, means you will be charged based on how many people Google serves your ad too, rather than who clicks on it. Because Google does not release bidding prices, your cost will depend entirely on your bid amount, keywords, and target audience.
Tip: Display advertising pairs well with your law firm’s other campaigns, including geofencing, geotargeting, proximity, audio-visual campaigns, and even connected TV and native advertising. You can also serve your display ads programmatically. Contact Moblyft to learn more!
10. Programmatic advertising
Let’s face it, capturing the attention of consumers in today’s digital ecosystem is no easy feat.
There are millions of applications, websites, and digital properties viewed across thousands of channels, mediums, and devices every day.
Having to keep up with your law firm advertising is challenging enough without adding various platforms to the mix.
You have a law firm to run after all.
As the digital world continues to propel itself forward, managing your law firm’s digital marketing and advertising becomes an increasingly daunting task.
I’ll let you in on a little secret – programmatic advertising solves all this.
We’ve mentioned programmatic a few times in this article, and for a good reason.
Here’s what your law firm needs to know:
- Programmatic advertising automates the buying and selling of your online ads, consolidating them into a single technology platform.
- This streamlined process makes your advertising transactions more effective and efficient.
- Nearly any channel in any format can be accessed programmatically today; including desktop, tablet, mobile, audio, digital outdoor, audio advertising, and connected TV.
- Targeting tactics are used to segment audiences so that your law firm only pays for ads that serve the right people at the right time.
- The $60 billion industry has transformed the way that businesses – and law firms – approach their advertising.
The programmatic platform utilizes real-time data to identify the best online audience for your campaign. It then buys your digital ad inventory through an auction-based format on everything available across multiple devices, in the places that your audience most cares about.
Your law firm’s ad is then personalized based on that consumer’s unique behaviors and interests – all in a fraction of a second.
Intelligent connections are then made, insights generate, and your ad’s performance is optimized.
If you’re wondering if programmatic is the future of advertising; it’s already here.
How much does it cost?
The average cost of adding programmatic to your law firm marketing campaigns will range from $0.50 to $2 CPM.
Compared to human-driven trading, which lands around $10+, this is quite the benefit. This means that programmatic can help you stretch your small law firm advertising budgets 10 to 20 times further.
In short, your law firm will benefit from having programmatic in their toolbox. Contact Moblyft to learn more about programmatic law firm advertising!
Rethink your advertising approach with a law firm advertising agency
Law firm advertising isn’t as simple as taking out an ad in a legal directory anymore.
As technology continues to evolve, so do your consumer’s needs and trends.
The law firms that are winning are giving prospects what they want – personalized ads that mesh seamlessly with their real-life experiences.
Ask yourself, is your law firm’s advertising where it needs to be?
Learn more by viewing our case studies here.
Then, tell us about your law firm and receive a free media kit.