Are law firm backlinks apart of your marketing strategy?
If you answered no, or your SEO manager is telling you that you don’t need backlinks, it’s time to look for a new law firm SEO agency.
Yes, it’s really that important!
Law firm SEO experts know that backlinks are the unsung hero of first page results.
In fact, it’s nearly impossible to get there without them.
Basically, if you want to gain attention online and climb Google’s ranks, you need high-quality law firm backlinks.
In this guide, you will learn what backlinks are, how to build backlinks for SEO, and ten authoritative strategies your law firm can use today to get started.
When you finish, contact our law firm SEO experts at Moblyft.
We’ll send you a free personalized SEO plan to help kickstart your law firm’s SEO success.
What are SEO backlinks?
First things first – what are backlinks in SEO?
Simply put, backlinks are when another website links to your law firm’s website.
You can think of backlinks as a ‘mention’ of your company.
The more people that are talking about and linking to your law firm online, the better results you receive in search engines.
Backlinks aren’t just good practice; they deliver real value to SEO for law firm websites! They can benefit your law firm by:
- Boosting your firm’s visibility. Every place that your law firm site URL appears instantly becomes a clickable advertisement for your services. When you feature your link on another credible site, you gain access to that site’s premium audience and direct them to you.
- Establishing website authority. No one knows Google’s exact algorithm for deciding which websites to serve to its users. However, law firm SEO experts know that search engines assign more authority to sites with backlinks from credible, relevant, and trusted sources.
- Creating a funnel of referral traffic. More exposure means more visits to your site. As the number of users that click on your link increases, so does your chance of turning high-quality leads into clients.
The case for backlinks
Let’s be real. Your law firm needs to be on the first page of Google, or you might as well not be in business.
It sounds dramatic, but in a digital age, your ability to funnel new clients directly depends on your visibility online.
In fact, 70% of law firms say that they get new cases from their website.
But are backlinks still an essential aspect of Google’s algorithm after all of these years?
The experts say yes! Let’s look at the statistics:
- A 2019 study found that the number of various domains linking to a page was the most significant correlation to Google’s top ranking.
- However, more than 55% of pages have zero backlinks pointed to them. (Ahrefs)
- The #1 top ranking spot on search engine results receives 5-14% additional do-follow backlinks from new domains and sites every month. (Ahrefs)
- Longer content receives over 77% more backlinks than shorter articles do.
- 44% of the top listed pages have reciprocal links. (Ahrefs)
- Businesses that actively engage in a site blog receive 97% more backlinks to their site. (HubSpot)
Not all law firm backlinks are created equal
By now, you know that backlinks are a critical component of top rating SEO.
Why, then, do so many marketing leaders shy away from backlinking in their marketing strategy?
The answer is simple. Backlinking is one of the more challenging aspects of law firm SEO.
To top it off, a poor backlinking strategy can actually get you in trouble with Google.
Before you dive into law firm backlinking on your own, it’s important to consult with an experienced law firm SEO company (like Moblyft).
We can help you implement white hat SEO backlinks into your online marketing strategy.
If you’re tackling your backlink SEO strategy on your own, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Law firm backlinks need to come from relevant, trusted sources.
- Similar to keywords, backlinks should always sound natural and not forced.
- Engaging in shady SEO tactics can get your domain permanently blacklisted from search results.
We’re not telling you this to scare you off! Like we mentioned earlier, SEO quality backlinks are a critical (if not the most essential) component of earning top rated SEO results.
10 Law firm backlink ideas your practice needs to try now
If you are wondering what SEO experts do to get backlinks, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve created this list specifically for law firm backlinking strategies to jumpstart your domain success.
These are a list of actual sites and strategies you can use to boost your Google authority today.
Rest assured, we have the first-hand experience with these SEO tactics and have used them to build our client’s success.
See our case studies here.
Remember, you may be in the legal field, but your business and services are unique to you.
Have fun, and get to link-building!
1. List your law firm in high domain rating directories.
When it comes to law firm backlinks, directories are often considered the low-hanging fruit.
However, this doesn’t mean you should skip them altogether.
Reputable, localized directories often earn high-traffic and are the best backlinks for local SEO.
In addition to being authoritative, clients may even find you here.
Give yourself a solid foundation and make sure that your practice is listed in every one of these free directories.
Then, choose a few of the most popular paid legal directories relevant to your business.
Keep reading to find out where to get backlinks for local SEO.
Free legal directories
Paid legal directories
Keep in mind that there is an unending list of places that you can list your law firm website for SEO.
However, whether or not they are going to move the needle on your website rankings is another question.
Pro Tip: Before you list your practice on every directory you can find, make sure they are reputable.
Ask yourself, do they have a high page rank?
Are your colleagues listed here?
Is there a topical relevance to the services you offer?
Is the directory local to your area?
If you’re not sure if you have a high-quality backlinking opportunity, contact our law firm SEO experts at Moblyft. We’d be happy to help!
2. Establish relevance with guest posts.
Guest posting for SEO is precisely what it sounds like.
Instead of posting content on your law firm website, you post your content on another authoritative site and backlink it to yours.
Guest posting shouldn’t be your only law firm backlinks SEO strategy, but it’s a great practice to get into.
However, lawyers and attorneys should choose the sites that they guest blog on wisely.
If you end up on a website that isn’t reputable or is ranked poorly in search engines, your site could endure negative ramifications.
Here’s how to qualify sites for guest posting and find good backlinks for SEO:
- Review their backlink profiles. What kind of sites are linking to them? Are they spammy or reputable?
- Look at the domain rating. A domain rating is a metric provided by the site Ahrefs that assists you in measuring the authority of a domain. The higher the site falls on the scale (0-100), the more reputable the domain is.
- Focus on relevancy. The domains you choose to guest post with should be relevant to your location and area of law.
- Avoid questionable tactics. Sites that don’t involve an editorial process, allow anyone to submit content, or don’t use a pay-to-play model aren’t likely to earn you authoritative results.
- Use an SEO writer. If you are a lawyer or attorney in the legal field, you likely know your stuff. But that doesn’t mean that you are experienced in all things SEO. A legal SEO writer can help you create first-page quality content that gets noticed by Google.
Pro Tip: Do you want to hire an SEO writer? Contact our experts at Moblyft. We offer law firm SEO services that include affordable guest posting service and SEO writers.
3. Build law firm backlinks on social media.
Posting law firm backlinks on social media may not pass any ‘link juice’ onto Google.
However, it’s a great way to establish an online presence, gain exposure, and point traffic to your law firm.
Other benefits for law firms include – capturing the power of the share button.
Content that people share across the web, and especially on social media, has a snowball effect.
The more traction your law firm experiences on the web, the higher chance you have of earning natural inbound links from authoritative sites.
Don’t forget to add a link to your website in your profile as well!
4. Don’t skip out on blogging.
If you haven’t yet started a blog – or you’ve let your blog go stagnant – it’s time to get it up and running.
A consistent and active blog allows you to:
- Generate high-quality content that other sites will want to link to.
- Rank for additional keyword phrases that are valuable to your law firm.
- Build a network of links to your site’s other pages that don’t get as much traction.
- Give you more opportunities to share content online.
- Provide search engines like Google, a steady stream of fresh content to index.
It isn’t enough to throw up some content and call it a day. A law firm blog comes down to how you decide to use it.
For the best results, you’re going to need an experienced SEO writer.
What is an SEO writer?
An SEO freelance writer is a writer who has experience with curating content that is highly favorable to search engines.
This means that they know how to research and use law firm keywords that are beneficial to your site and services to rank.
How to write SEO content?
SEO writing and law firm blog SEO content isn’t just placing a few keywords in the content on a page.
It involves publishing work that is beneficial to your potential clients while researching and placing keywords throughout the content in a way that helps Google index that page.
In general, your law firm blogs should:
- Be over 2000 words. Google likes longer content that offers its readers more value.
- Contain H1, H2, and H3 headings. Subheadings help your content in two ways; it improves readability and helps search engines properly index the content on your page.
- Use primary and secondary keywords. Keywords help Google find, understand, and index your content.
- Contain inbound links. Your blog should inter-link with the other pages and services of your site you’d like to direct traffic to.
- Have outbound links. Remember to link to other authoritative pages that support the content on your page.
- Include high-quality images, graphics, and/or video. Consumers are visual creatures. Giving them a simple way to skim your law firm’s content makes it easier for them to digest and more willing to interact.
5. Get involved in your community.
Giving back to your community is a great way to help a local cause, gain positive attention, and you guessed it – build law firm backlinks!
Start by finding a local event, sports team, or foundation you’d like to donate your time or money to.
Most organizations and nonprofits have websites where they would be happy to feature your law firm’s logo with a link in exchange for donations, volunteering, or pro-bono work.
It’s probably not a great idea to sponsor something just for the link, but if it’s something that you’re already involved in, don’t forget to ask for a backlink!
Just make sure that the organization is reputable, has a high domain authority, and is a positive fit for your law firm.
6. Create a scholarship opportunity.
Okay, chances are you’ve heard of this before. In part because it’s one of the most cost-effective ways to get highly authoritative law firm backlinks (and everyone and their mother tries it).
However, as more businesses jump on board with offering scholarships, it could become less effective than in the past.
But, there are creative methods to implement this tactic that still gain traction. Follow these steps to launch a law firm scholarship fund:
- First, decide the amount of your scholarship. This doesn’t have to be a considerable investment. As little as $500 is a good starting point.
- Next, you want to set your eligibility requirements. Consider things like, who is the scholarship designed for? Can anyone apply?
- Then, create a page on your law firm’s website detailing the scholarship, such as how to apply, what steps students need to take, what you are offering, etc.
Once you’ve smoothed out your page and details, it’s time to reach out to your local community and colleges.
Colleges love to promote opportunities for their students. Most of them are happy to include your law firm’s scholarship on their resource pages.
College websites get a lot of high-quality traffic to them, making them an excellent opportunity to earn authority for your law firm’s backlinks and SEO.
7. Explore marketing videos.
Text is the most efficient way for Google to understand the content of a web page. But…consumers love video content.
So how do law firms harness the power of video without missing out on valuable text indexing?
What people don’t realize is that there a plenty of opportunities for a law firm’s to pair video with their SEO and backlinking strategy.
In fact, with Google purchasing YouTube a few years back, and the inherent shift towards online video content, video marketing and video advertising now has more impact on search engines than ever before.
Still not sure? Consider the following benefits video content offers to your law firm:
- It’s easily viewable and shareable.
- People would rather watch something than read it.
- You can link to your website in the description and mention it in the video.
- Sites like YouTube (owned by Google) are highly authoritative.
- It puts a face to your practice, making it more personable.
- Video helps establish trust.
8. Don’t forget where you came from (aka reach out to your law school).
It’s no secret that law schools love successful alumnus.
Law schools often have alumni profiles where you may be able to link and promote your business and services.
The odds are also in your favor that your school would be interested in allowing you to publish an article on their website.
This could be about your time as a student there, how your education prepared you to open up a successful law practice, or advice for graduating students.
Think through topics that might be beneficial to the school or their current and future students. Don’t be hesitant to reach out to your law school to find out how you might be able to offer something of value to them.
Remember to ask about their guest posting policies, and ask if you can link to your law firm’s website.
9. Foster your relationships and form collaborations.
Collaborations with clients, other businesses, and colleagues are a great way to get high-quality editorial law firm backlinks pointing to your website.
There are a lot of ways to accomplish this.
Start by exploring opportunities such as guest posting, honorable mentions, and joint marketing efforts. You could even join a referral network in your area.
Not only will most professional referral networks feature their members on their website, but they may also be able to help funnel some high-quality leads your way.
Additionally, law students and young lawyers have a presence all over the web and are often the future players in your niche.
Find them and offer to help with anything you can.
Making connections and encouraging collaborations enables you to establish high-quality law firm backlinks.
10. Get active online.
There’s no way around it. If you want to establish an online presence, you actually need to be online.
It’s not enough to post a blog once a month. Instead, you should actively look for link-building opportunities your law firm can get involved in.
This means helping answer lawyer and attorney related questions on forums, offering your assistance to those who need it, and remaining responsive on your social channels.
You can also follow and participate in blog communities where attorneys and lawyers share stories and tips to help each other run successful practices.
Discussions can help you earn links and may even earn your practice referrals through the connections that you make.
Here are some great blogs that come to mind:
Take the time to reach out to the editors in these communities and let them know how your insight could help their readers.
You might have tips on limiting distractions at your practice or how you prepare for trial.
If it’s valuable to you, it just might be useful to their blog, and you’ll get some excellent law firm SEO and backlinks out of it.
How to implement a high-quality backlinks SEO strategy
Google loads thousands of suggestions in half a second. With this in mind, you can only manage what you can measure.
Essentially, your legal SEO link building effort isn’t successful if you can’t track it. Keep reading to find out just how building backlinks for SEO works for law firms.
Measuring authoritative law firm backlinks aren’t a mystery. Here’s how to measure and how to create backlinks for SEO. The key metrics are:
- Link diversity
- Link velocity
- Domain and page authority
- Anchor text
- Link relevance
How are these components used to boost your law firm authority? Let’s explore:
It’s not enough to have law firm backlinks from a single directory. Search engines want to see a variety of quality links from sites with strong SEO metrics.
This includes links from news sites, press releases, free and paid legal directories on a local to a regional level, social media sites, and other authoritative legal sites, universities, and government websites.
How fast is your law firm backlinks growing?
Keep in mind that Google has pretty much nailed down their algorithm. This means they can tell if you’re linking 100 times a month from social media sites and directories every month.
Pro Tip: Partner with a law firm SEO company, like Moblyft, to keep a flow of high-quality backlinks that Google does not perceive as excessive or spammy.
Domain and page authority
High-quality backlinking opportunities should focus on relevance and authority to your practice.
This means looking for legal websites that have high domain authority, as well as page authority.
Basically, the better the presence of another more credible site than yours has on Google, the more credibility you earn for your law firm website SEO when they link to yours.
Everyone knows that backlinking is one of the most critical components of a great SEO strategy, but not everyone knows that Google also uses anchor text as a ‘ranking factor.’
This doesn’t come as a huge surprise, as Google’s original US patent states that anchor text is used to influence rankings.
Picture source: Ahrefs
There are several ways that anchor texts are used, from exact match to phrase match to brand-match and more.
However, the ratio of your exact keyword match in your anchor text should be less than 4%. Anything higher could penalize your site.
For example: You are just starting out and have earned 100 backlinks to your law firm website. Your website’s primary keyword is ‘law firm SEO expert.’ Therefore, you only want 4 of those backlinks to carry an exact keyword match in your anchor text. Otherwise, you could seem spammy.
If you’re tempted to place your law firm backlinks everywhere that is digitally possible – just don’t.
Not only will Google immediately index your domain as spam, but it probably won’t earn you the type of traffic that you are looking for.
The rule here is simple: Only give and receive links from relevant, authoritative sites.
To rank your website for legal keywords that are highly competitive. 85% of your law firm backlinks should come from authoritative legal sites.
A law firm SEO consultant will help make sure that all of your links come from relevant, high-quality sources, and that no one attempts to de-index your page with poor quality links.
Pro Tip: Top-level domains (TLDs) that are relevant to your specific location are more authoritative than other places. Focus your efforts locally, then regionally, for the best results.
Law firm backlinks: Are you ready to get started?
If you are a law firm looking for high-quality law firm backlinks and SEO, you likely have a lot of questions.
Don’t worry, we understand, and we’re ready to help.
If there’s anything more than we can cover or any questions we can answer about our law firm SEO services, give us a call, and we’ll help you out.
We’ll even include a free personalized SEO plan designed just for your law firm!
Still not sure? Check out what we’ve accomplished for our other clients with our case studies here.
Ready to get started? Enjoy link-building! Come back if you have any questions.